Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mothers Day Origins

"Every day is Children's Day" I heard many times as a kid, and that surely is true. One day in May of official recognition is inadequate acknowledgment of all the hard work and love and sweat and tears each of you puts into one of the toughest and most important jobs a human can do: being a mother to your kids.

My gift to you again this year is a few of my favorite quotes on moms. I hope you like them.


"There was something so valuable about what happened when one became a mother. For me it was the most liberating thing that happened...Liberating because the demands that children make are not the demands of a normal "other." The children's demands on me were things that no one else ever asked me to do. To be a good manager. To have a sense of humor... And they were not interested in all the things that other people were interested in, like what I was wearing or if I were sensual. Somehow all the baggage I had accumulated as a person about what was valuable just fell away. I could not only be me - whatever that was - but somebody actually needed me to be that."
- Toni Morrison

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his."
-Oscar Wilde

"My mom is a never ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune."
-Graycie Harmon

"Mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."
-Washington Irving

"A man's work is from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done."
-Author Unknown

"You don't really understand human nature unless you know why a child on a merry-go-round will wave at his parents every time around - and why his parents will always wave back."
-William D. Tammeus

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

"There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one."
-Jill Churchill

"God couldn't be everywhere, so he created mothers."
-Jewish proverb

No comments: