Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The ABCs of checking for Skin cancer


For us fair-skinned, frequently burned, sun-loving people, some goods news came out today on how drinking coffee--or any beverage containing caffeine--coupled with regular exercise may prevent skin cancer. This made my day since I drink a cup of green tea day every morning just before starting my exercise routine.

While I'm elated with the health update, it won't stop me from regularly inspecting those unsightly moles I have from head to toe. Being more susceptible than most people to skin cancer, I also plan to make my yearly appointment with my dermatologist for a skin screening.

For an at-home inspection, here are the ABCs of looking for abnormal and potentially cancerous moles:



A for asymmetry: A mole that, when divided in half, doesn't look the same on both sides
B for border: A mole with edges that are blurry or jagged
C for color: Changes in the color of a mole, including darkening, spread of color, loss of color, or the appearance of multiple colors such as blue, red, white, pink, purple or gray
D for diameter: A mole larger than 1/4 inch in diameter
E for elevation: A mole that is raised above the skin and has an uneven surface

In addition, look for moles that are:

Bleeding
Itching
Rapid growth
A sore or area that won't heal
A scaly or crusty growth
Rough patches that feel like sandpaper

After checking your moles, if you see anything suspicious, make sure you see a dermatologist right away. Otherwise, a cup of coffee and a good workout may be your new best bet to prevention after sunscreen.

No comments: